[Soekris] Error LED program and VPN accelerators

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Mon Aug 5 18:32:42 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-07-31 at 07:38, Eric Anderson wrote:
> John -Oordopjes- wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can somebody tell me if the led.c program (posted in Feb. by Eric
> > Anderson) works with Linux? with new 4501 bios'es?
>
> It shouldn't work under linux.  The linux and FreeBSD kernels are very
> different.. In fact, I believe the newer bios'es even broke it, but someone
> patched it to make it work since then (I believe).
>
> Eric

Linux protects that memory segment, so writing directly to /dev/mem as
led.c does will not work. It may work with pre 2.4 kernels, but I can't
imagine anyone building a firewall/router/etc. with a pre 2.4 kernel.
Anyway, I wrote a module to do error led control. It's at:

http://www.blurbco.com/~gork/net4501/net4501_modules-1.2.tar.gz

It uses a very mundane /proc interface. It can turn the LED on, off, and
flash it at different speeds.

John