[Soekris] Booting off a Samsung CF/ATA?

Arthur van Leeuwen arthurvl at sci.kun.nl
Mon Aug 5 13:12:19 UTC 2002

On Sat, 3 Aug 2002, Arthur van Leeuwen wrote:

> > > You are using GRUB, right? There seems to be a nasty interaction between GRUB
> > > and the LBA mode used by the net45{2,0}1 BIOS. As LBA is only enabled above
> > > 1024 cylinders only CF cards with more than 1024 cylinders are affected.
> >
> > No, I'm using the FreeBSD boot loader. And 256MB Lexar cards boot fine,
> > so I'm not sure if we're seeing the same issue here.
>
> What is the C/H/S the CF cards report? (I wouldn't be in the least bit
> surprised if the Lexar cards have less than 1024 cylinders).

> Furthermore, what exact BIOS calls does the FreeBSD boot loader use to load
> blocks off the CF? The Extended Read calls (int 0x13 service 0x42 IIRC)
> seem to break, whereas the Block Read calls (int 0x13 service 0x02 IIRC)
> seem to be okay, when using LBA. Very odd interaction there.

Okay, I checked. FreeBSD's loader uses int 0x13 service 0x02, so that is
probably not related. Still, if the CF card works in other machines there
may be some weird interaction between Soekris' BIOS and the card...

Doei, Arthur.

--
  /\    / |      arthurvl at sci.kun.nl      | Work like you don't need the money
 /__\  /  | A friend is someone with whom | Love like you have never been hurt