[Soekris] Error LED Control from Linux userland?

John Laur johnl at blurbco.com
Tue Apr 16 17:03:10 UTC 2002

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 11:43, David Smead wrote:
> John,
>
> RE: LEDs
>
> Information is provided by the on/off times of each LED, and is based on
> seconds which users can count easily, (and report to our tech support
> staff).  Constantly on is a `message', but it could mean the processor is
> locked up, so probably should be avoided. The most obvious pattern is one
> second on and one second off, (1-1), which suggest it be used to signal
> `normal'.

I was going to do blink patterns but hadn't had the time yet. It's
pretty easy, so I will do it at some point. You will be able to set
seperate times for on and off in whole seconds. IE - 1 second on, 4
seconds off, as you described. The current setup allows for indicating
something like system load, connections vs. max connections, etc. You
can't count how fast the blinking is, but you can certainly distinguish
9 from 1 :)

> RE: LCDs
>
> How many lines and characters are you looking for?  The Soekris box is
> very small, and finding an LCD that fits in it will be a trick.

1 or 2 lines, 8 - 20 characters. Maybe mounting for 1 or 2 buttons. I
was envisioning the mounting to the right of the front panel LED's in
the space where a PCI card might occupy.

John