[Soekris] Error LED Control from Linux userland?

David Smead smead at amplepower.com
Tue Apr 16 16:43:02 UTC 2002

John,

RE: LEDs

I should have made this suggestion earlier, but perhaps it's not too late.
In our own products we use two LEDs to convey information to the user.
The green one provides status and the red one describes an error.

Information is provided by the on/off times of each LED, and is based on
seconds which users can count easily, (and report to our tech support
staff).  Constantly on is a `message', but it could mean the processor is
locked up, so probably should be avoided. The most obvious pattern is one
second on and one second off, (1-1), which suggest it be used to signal
`normal'.

There are lots of combinations, but spreading the times works best for the
user.  That is, they can interpret 1 on, 1 off, or x on x off, but 2-3
may get confused with 3-3.  So if you need lots of codes, you need to have
spread codes like 1-6 or 6-1. 2-4 and 4-2 work, but the longer any one
time, the greater the spread should be to it's pair.

Detecting status and errors and reporting them in a user readable way was
the best thing we ever did to reduce tech support calls and time spent
troubleshooting.

RE: LCDs

How many lines and characters are you looking for?  The Soekris box is
very small, and finding an LCD that fits in it will be a trick.

--
Sincerely,

David Smead
http://www.amplepower.com.